The Mary Ball Washington Regional Council (MBWRC) is seeking applications for GO Virginia project funding.
GO Virginia funding seeks to grow jobs that pay higher than the regional median wage ($22/hour or $44,058 annually), and attracts new investment, especially new to Virginia. Region 6 is focused on job creation and promotion in six “clusters”: Aquaculture / Seafood / Commercial Fishing / Marine Industries; Forestry / Wood Products / Paper; Manufacturing; Logistics / Distribution; Information / Data Centers; and Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
Proposed projects should benefit an industry or region as a whole, rather than a single business entity. Projects should emphasize traded sectors and demonstrate an ongoing, region-wide demand for the project or program. Projects also are required to demonstrate strong local match and meaningful local participation and leadership.
- Enhanced Capacity Building ($100,000 maximum, 1:1 match, no local match requirement)
- Planning Grants i.e. Feasibility Studies, Pre-Development Activities, Plans, and Capacity Building Activities
- Implementation (no maximum, 1:1 match, of which 20% or $50,000 (whichever is greater) must be from local governments)
GO Virginia DOES FUND
GO Virginia DOES NOT FUND
Key Project Requirements
More Higher Paying Jobs
Projects must create “high-paying jobs”, defined as above the average wage ($21.18hr/$44,058) of the GO Virginia Region and/or project service area.
Projects must have at least two participating localities, political subdivisions, or public bodies corporate and politic. “Participation” can include financial participation, in-kind contribution, participation on a project advisory team, and/or administration of the project.
Out of State Revenue
Projects must align with at least one of the six priority clusters identified in the Region 6 Economic Growth & Diversification Plan; these clusters primarily generate revenue from outside the region/state.
|Round 3||Round 4||Round 5||Round 6||Round 7||Round 8||Round 9||Round 10|
|Letters of Intent due to GWRC||Aug 09, 2019||Oct 11, 2019||Dec 06, 2019||Feb 14, 2020||Apr 17, 2020||Jun 12, 2020||Aug 14, 2020||Oct 09, 2020|
|Interested Applicants meet with Staff||Aug 12-23, 2019||Oct 15-25, 2019||Dec 9-20, 2019||Feb 18-28, 2020||Apr 21-May 1, 2020||Jun 16-26, 2020||Aug 18-28, 2020||Oct 13-23, 2020|
|Applications due to GWRC||Sep 20, 2019||Nov 22, 2019||Jan 24, 2020||Mar 27, 2020||May 22, 2020||Jul 24, 2020||Sep 18, 2020||Nov 20, 2020|
|Staff Review||Sept 23-27, 2019||Nov 25-27, 2019||Jan 27-31, 2020||Mar 30-Apr 3, 2020||May 25-29, 2020||Jul 27-31, 2020||Sept 21-Sept 25, 2020||Nov 30-Dec 4, 2020|
|Applicants Meet with Interview Panel||Sept 30-Oct 4, 2019||Dec 2-6, 2019||Feb 3-7, 2020||Apr 6-10, 2020||Jun 1-5, 2020||Aug 3-7, 2020||Sept 28-Oct 2, 2020||Dec 7-11, 2020|
|Regional Council Meeting (Applications Considered for Region 6 Approval)||Oct 07, 2019||Dec 09, 2019||Feb 10, 2020||Apr 13, 2020||Jun 08, 2020||Aug 10, 2020||Oct 05, 2020||Dec 14, 2020|
|GWRC Submits Approved Applications to DHCD||Oct 28, 2019||Feb 07, 2020||May 15, 2020||May 15, 2020||Jul 31, 2020||Oct 30, 2020||Oct 30, 2020||*TBD|
|State Board Workgroup Review||Nov 5-6, 2019||Feb 19-20, 2020||May 26-28, 2020||May 26-28, 2020||Aug 11-13, 2020||Nov 10-12, 2020||Nov 10-12, 2020||*TBD|
|State Board Feedback Loop||Nov 8-19, 2019||Feb 24-Mar 3, 2020||Jun 1-8, 2020||Jun 1-8, 2020||Aug 14-21, 2020||Nov 16-24, 2020||Nov 16-24, 2020||*TBD|
|State Board Meeting (Applications Considered for Final Approval)||Dec 10, 2019||Mar 17, 2020||Jun 23, 2020||Jun 23, 2020||Sep 03, 2020||Dec 08, 2020||Dec 08, 2020||*TBD|
How to Apply
Projects must adhere to the requirements outlined in the following documents:
- Virginia Growth and Opportunity Act
- Virginia Growth and Opportunity Fund (GO Fund) Grant Scoring Guidelines
- GO Virginia Working Project Guidance and Metrics
- GO Virginia Future Project Guidance
- Administrative Approval Process for Grants under $100,000 from Regional Per Capita Grant Allocations (if applicable)
These requirements, as well as policy decisions made by the State Board, are summarized in the FY20 Project Application Packet. The packet includes grant guidelines, the letter of intent template, the application form, and attachment templates.
Potentially interested applicants are required to submit a 1-2 page letter of interest that:
- Includes the name and contact information of the expected primary applicant
- Identifies possible Region 6 jurisdictions to be impacted/involved
- Includes list of likely partners and collaborators
- Provides a brief narrative description of the project (250 words max)
- Identifies likely total costs including anticipated GO Virginia request and matching fund sources
- Includes a clear description of expected outcome or result – clearly describing how the project would spur growth of higher-wage jobs in one or more of Region 6’s priority clusters AND respond to one or more of the identified strategies in the Region 6 Growth and Diversification Plan
In order to apply for Fiscal Year 2020 funding through GO Virginia Region 6, prospective applicants are required to submit a letter of intent, using the template above, to Kate Gibson via email (email@example.com).
For clarification on these guidelines, or for help with initial brainstorming, please reach out to Kate Gibson at 540-642-1579 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter of Intent Template: Word